There's something about a chicken with a stubborn foot that turns the calmest among us into a worried mess. This reader has done everything right: Epsom salt soaks, Vetricyn, Prid, a trip to the avian vet, and a full course of two different antibiotics. And still, that swollen foot pad lingers like an uninvited guest at the coop party. I feel for them. Truly. We've all been there, staring at a feathered friend and wondering if we're missing something obvious or just not being patient enough. It's the kind of frustration that makes you want to throw your hands up and ask the chickens for advice. They're no help, by the way. They just peck at your shoelaces.
This story reminds me of the pure joy we chase when we bring these birds into our lives, like the Six fluffy chicks have hatched—egg-cellent news from our feathered friends! or the tiny, sleepy wonders in Tiny Marans Froment chicks are cluck-tastic, and currently napping!. Those are the moments that make all the muck and worry worth it. But the less glamorous side is this: when something goes wrong, it's rarely a straight line to fixed. Bumblefoot is a sneaky beast. It doesn't always pack its bags and leave just because you've done everything by the book. The fact that there's no limping is a good sign, but the persistent swelling after a full antibiotic course? That's the part that would have me scratching my head, too.
Here's my honest take, and I'm not just clucking to hear myself talk. When the opening is small and the swelling is toward the back of the pad, you're dealing with a situation where the kernel, if there is one, is buried deep. Epsom salts and Prid are great for drawing things to the surface, but they're not miracle workers when the exit ramp is on the other side of the foot. Patience is part of it, sure, but so is knowing when to push for a second opinion or a more aggressive intervention. The reader mentioned the vet already, but if the swelling hasn't budged after two weeks, I'd be calling them back. Ask about surgical removal or a different approach. Because here's the thing: waiting too long can let a manageable issue turn into a chronic one, and nobody wants a grumpy bird with a permanent limp.
What I'd tell this reader, and anyone else in the same coop, is to trust your gut and keep a close eye on the little things. You've done the baths, you've done the meds, and you're clearly not the type to give up. That matters. But don't be afraid to be the annoying client who calls the vet again. You're not chickening out by asking for more help. You're being the advocate your feathered friend needs. And if the swelling starts to change, or if she starts favoring that foot, don't wait. This is a story that's still being written, and the ending depends on how closely you're watching. So keep up the soaks, keep an eye on that pad, and remember: sometimes the bravest thing you can do is admit you need a second look.